IRCTR-INDONESIA International Research Centre for Telecommunications and Radar - INDONESIA

Electronic Support Measures

IRCTR-I has the expertise, know-how and experience to build an Electronic Support Measures (ESM) system. ESM is a vital part of an electronic war (EW) system for detecting and identifying all electromagnetic emissions within its frequency range, especially those transmitted by radars. Furthermore, an ESM system should also be able to determine the bearing and/or the location of the source of the emission with respect to its position.

IRCTR’I’s ESM receiver is an Instantaneous Frequency Measurement (IFM)-based receiver. It has an unambiguous bandwidth of 16 GHz, from 2 up to 18 GHz, with frequency measurement accuracy of 6 MHz and measurement resolution of 12 bits. The IFM receiver allows a minimum input signal of -60 dBm and has a dynamic range of 60 dB.

IRCTR-I’s ESM system is equipped with a Direction Finding (DF) module for amplitude measurement and measurement of target’s bearing or angle of arrival (AoA) in the 2-18 GHz frequency range. The DF module can measure a minimum input signal of -68 dBm with 68 dB dynamic range and 10 bits resolution. The maximum and minimum pulse width that can be measured is 500 µs and 100 ns, respectively, with accuracy of 50 ns max. The DF module makes use of 6 UWB spiral antennas directed towards 6 different sectors to cover all 360° directions.

The DF module performs AoA measurements in all 360° directions instantaneously. This is made possible by using a dedicated 6-channel receiver for each of the 6 spiral antennas. In this way, all of the antennas are "listening" constantly to all 360° directions. The AoA of a detected signal is measured in the processor based on the amplitude comparison method with accuracy of 10°.

::

ESM

IRCTR-I's ESM system prototype (pic: courtesy of RCS)

ESM-GUI

User interface of IRCTR-I's ESM system (pic: courtesy of RCS)

PDF download

ESM brochure

Links

A detailed overview of radar principles and technologies.

A comprehensive tutorial on antennas.

Exploring the IEEE publication database.

Info on microwave industry and publications.

Peer-reviewed articles on EM theory and applications.

Progress In Electromagnetics Research Symposium.